Thursday, May 7, 2009

The Yogini and the Pea

Marlene always tells us not to let an errant prop touch us when we're doing a pose. "It'll drive you crazy" she says. I was painfully aware of this in my practice the other day. The slightest lump or bump in my own set up was unbearable. Let alone the excess props that kept creeping into my space.

Is this an idea that she put into my head or is there an essential truth here? I'm wondering if the visual and physical distractions of our day to day life could have a more profoundly disturbing effect on us than we give them credit for.

Have you ever noticed how easy it is to see that something is out of place in an almost empty space? When we empty our minds to meditate we notice the excess thoughts running around.

Simplify, simplify. Make sure your clothes are comfortable. Give your extra stuff away. Lorna's garage sale for the Ugandan Orphan's Fund is a great place to start.

No comments: