Friday, November 7, 2008

In the Beginning


Can you believe "Third Girl From the Left" was taken!? All these years of thinking about having a production company (or any kind of company) called "Third Girl From the Left" and now it's taken!

I've always loved the idea of the girl from Iowa telling her folks "When you see the Rockettes, look for the third girl from the left at the beginning of the second song". That's how I see my life in the arts. I'm there, I'm working it, but I don't expect anyone but my nearest and dearest to notice.

I've spent a lot of time in my studio this week. I spent all day Tuesday making a "Waiting for the Polls to Close" quilt. Lots of thought, and love, and trepidation went into the quilted version of Obama's logo. I found red fabric with Hibiscus in my stash - perfect for the fields, and the binding fabric reminds me of hanging chads!

On other days this week I've been re-purposing fabric originally quilted and cut for a wearable art jacket. It has been cut up to become several wall hangings, a book cover, coffee sleeves and motifs for greeting cards, so far.

The recent financial meltdown has inspired me to use up fabric in my stash before adding to it. I've pieced a pretty nine patch out of lots of batiks that have been piling up for the longest time.

I'm not inspired to use my traditional calicos at the moment. Maybe I'll make a scrappy log cabin like the one I saw today at the York Heritage Quilt Guild's biannual show.

No comments: