Sunday, January 4, 2009

Happy New Year

The seasonal decorations have been put away. The treats are (mostly) eaten. The resolutions have been made. The children are (almost) ready to go back to school. Now what?

Tomorrow I will begin my Yoga training in earnest, in hopes that it will help me decide if I am going to start the three year Iyengar Yoga Teacher Training in September. I love to teach and I love yoga. What I don't love is school, science and memorization. I'm a little terrified of alll those Sanskrit terms, and all the anatomy. I even set myself the task of learning the Invocation to Patanjali to get my brain in shape over the holidays and I think I may have mastered line one! Hold on let me check... nope.

My problem with memorization presented huge challenges for me as a professional singer, as you can imagine. I was in awe of those singers who could be 'off book' after a couple of rehearsals, when I was still making memory errors in pieces I had sung for years. It makes me want to cry as I think about it. Unfortunately I've forgotten what I did with all the self-help "Learn to Remember Anything" books that I used to buy. What I found hilarious was that you were supposed to remember a bunch of mnemonic tricks to help you remember all the other stuff in your life better. As if somebody like me would be able to remember the tricks!

In an effort to be grateful and to look at the bright side of things I will admit that I learn concepts quickly and that I have good instincts when it comes to teaching. As my Mom would say "If I put my mind to it, I can do anything."

2 comments:

Heather said...

Oooh, what kind of yoga? I love yoga, but the nice, gentle Hatha variety. My brother-in-law does some crazy, super-energetic and aerobic, jump all around and whip through poses type of yoga that did not look terribly relaxing when he demonstrated it to me once..... :)

Contented Caroline said...

Hiya,

Thanks for visiting my blog - you are now on my PIF - all you need to do are download the picture on my side bar - put it on yours and invite your own members.

I have an idea for your gift already!!!