Saturday, November 3, 2012

Home and Away

The kids are concerned that I'm painting and playing with paper and ephemera instead of with fabric and sewing. "Does that mean you're not a quilter anymore?" they ask.


I am still playing with pattern, texture, colour and imagination. Art Journal pages have layers just like quilts.

They can bring you comfort in a different way. This page uses pieces of paper reminding me of my family's home and travels.

A luggage tag and hotel business card from my father's trips for work and to visit my brother overseas, a ticket to a Broadway play that my husband and I remember with pleasure, and my membership card from the tennis club I belonged to in Venelles during my father's sabbatical in Aix en Provence.


A page from my mother's address book with jottings in her amazing spidery scrunched handwriting and a note card from our neighbourhood community centre reminds me to be proud of my roots.
A photograph of an old fashioned plane collaged on top reminds me to be grateful for my wings.


I tell the kids "Don't worry, I'm still a quilter". 

I'm a quilter, and a designer, and a singer, and a writer and an artist and a...




I'm linking this post to Creative Every Day and Art Journal Every Day.

Thank you so much for visiting. I hope you'll leave a comment. I love to hear what you think.



8 comments:

Nigel said...

Why can I never get my collaged pieces to look that good? Love it.

Tracey FK said...

I love old scrunchy writing as well. and this is a great college... love the layers and textures but they still all come together...xx

Serena Lewis said...

Lovely collage, Mitzi! You are a woman of many talents. :)

Anonymous said...

Wonderful piece! I love all the memories preserved with the bits you used. Happy AEDM :)

Unknown said...

Thanks Nigel!

Unknown said...

Thanks Tracey!

Unknown said...

Thanks Serena (I'm blushing)

Unknown said...

Thanks Cat!