Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Granny's Afghan

I'm about to mark off one item on my to-do list! This quilt, which I've named "Granny's Afghan", was inspired by Kaffe Fassett's "Leafy Rosy" quilt. It is pieced and back from the quilter. The binding has been machine sewn onto the front and all that is left to do is to hand sew the binding to the back and add a label. Why is it that these last two steps can sometimes feel like they take the longest. Or, in the case of labels, just never get done!

This quilt reminds me so much of an afghan that my Granny knitted. I wonder who has it now, or if it just disintegrated from years of loving use? Isn't that the fate that we wish for so many of our quilts? Not the ones with the hundreds of hours of painstaking applique or the thousands of pieces. No, the scrap quilts that we imagine people cuddling under with a box of tissues and the t.v. controller!

I finished two more preemie quilts today. I'm up to ten or so, plenty enough to warrant a trip to the NICU. I called Mount Sinai to double check if they wanted donations and if I needed to wash the blankets first. The duty nurse told me to just bring them on down and thanks very much. I'll make another couple of them tomorrow and make a detour to the Hospital on my way to Emily's school on Friday, which is shaping up to be a busy day: dropping off quilts at the NICU, serving lunch at Emily's school, singing at a Hannukah party at Zachary's school, bringing a friend of Emily's home for a sleepover and making Friday night dinner for sixteen! I guess I won't be getting too much quilting done.

No comments: